Emacs/psgml problem

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Sun Aug 15 17:28:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 13:23, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 09:54, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > I've been using the same setup since I first started doing FDP stuff; I
> > added the code listed in the Doc Guide to my .emacs file, and haven't
> > changed it. rpm -V psgml looks fine.
> >
> > I think after having battled it for a little while that it's related to
> > doing this:
> >   <xref linkend="target"/>
> > instead of:
> >   <xref linkend="target"></xref>
> >
> > Exiting Emacs and restarting it seems to "fix" the problem. It only
> > happens using <filename> after <xref/> tags. I'm confused but I'm not
> > sure how to Bugzilla the problem since it could be the Big OE (Operator
> > Error).
>
> I was first going to ask if you had a stuck Ctrl key on your keyboard.
> :)

Out of genuine curiosity, would this have caused a problem like what I
observed?

> Mark may lend more enlightenment here, but I'm wondering if the problem
> is that PSGML is written to work in a valid SGML environment, where < />
> isn't legal.  Even though it's presumably validated against the DTD (C-c
> C-p), it might still be hardwired to do something different.

> Restarting Emacs might just be revalidating against the XML DTD and that
> works fine, but later PSGML "forgets" and falls back on some hardwired
> expectation?

I rewrote those tags with explicit <xref></xref> and the problem did
seem to disappear. Hmmm.

> FWIW, in SGML I have never had a problem with an unclosed <xref>.  I've
> always written it as just plain <xref linkend="target"> without a
> </xref>.  Of course, this is not legal in XML, so you have to include
> it.
>
> Another thing you might try (being a self-professed newbie who seems to
> be doing quite well anyway) is Mark's PSGMLX package:
> http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/psgmlx .  It will validate against the XML
> DTD properly, afaict.  Just don't find any bugs in it, Mark doesn't have
> any time to fix them. :)

It's on my to-do list! Am I correct that you just indicated (in another
thread, sorry) that I can use all the same keybindings as in PSGML? If I
don't have to unlearn what I've only recently learned for psgml, I'm
more likely to try psgmlx.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE