Thoughts on Squid article

Mike MacCana mikem at cyber.com.au
Sat Feb 28 01:11:24 UTC 2004

Thanks for your efforts, this is good stuff.

Now for the feedback:

* As the doc guide mentions, totorials should be task based. Eg 'Password
File' isn't a title, 'Controlling Access to the Proxy' is. Likewise
'Installing and Configuring Squidguard' should be replaced with 'Content
Filtering with Squidguard' 'Swatch'

* Try and use general Linux or RH options for services. This aids
consistency. Sure, someone could learn they need to run apachectl for
apache httpd, smbd and nmbd for Samba, etc, but there's a reason we have
initscripts. So yeah - use 'service squid restart' rather than 'squid -k'

* Users should use packages to install software. If the package comes with
their distro, they should be told to use that package first. If they need
to build their own custom package, they can install a source package. If
there's no source package for an app, make one. cpna2rpm can help in your
case.

* Pico isn't open source - but it is a great choice of editor. Pico
won't be round in Fedora much longer cause of its licensing, so try Gnu
nano an Open Source clone of pico, a great suggestion for newbies to
use.

Let's combine forces. I'm working on a Squid guide myself. Your guide
includes a lot of good technology, mine's more task based, and similiar to
Red Hat's other doco. There's a bit of overlap, and some stuff that one of
use currently does better than the other (I have transparent caching, you
have Squidguard).

http://www.cyber.com.au/users/mikem/fedora-docs/proxy-serving-tutorial/proxy-serving-tutorial-en/index.html

I'll import your content into my XML (for no reason other than mine has
lots of tables I can't be bothered writing out again) next Monday and you
can tell me if you're happy with it

Cheers,

Mike

Mike MacCana 	         Consultant            RHCX, MCSE, MCP+I
			0419 394 504