Emacs error

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 19:45:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 18:45, Karsten Wade wrote:

> > > I've run these experiments numerous times, but if someone can point out
> > > the error in my method to let us use Local Variable, I am more than
> > > happy to use this easier method.
> >
> > The error is using the wrong tools.
>
> What is the wrong tool?  Using a .ced file built from a parent XML file
> to parse a child XML file?

.ced file is the right tool, for faster access to a compiled dtd for
a specific file.
 .ced is not always the right way to get hold of the dtd for a suite
of files
  e.g. if n files make up an article.
 In that case, the psgml comment is (IMHO) the right way to do it.
 Especially since splitting up the file makes psgml parsing sufficiently
fast.

IMHO its using a line based comparison or diff tool to find out
what the changes are in an XML file, when xml is largely
'don't care' about white space.

> > I edit pretty large xml files in emacs quite a lot.
> > I also use nxml-mode with xml-mode and believe me
> > hacking that 4 liner to the bottom of the file
> > is the easier option.
>
> Then perhaps we should abandon the .ced files and use Local Variable
> instead?  Wouldn't get any objections from me!

Not my view. Use when appropriate?

> >   If you are bothered by the indents,
>
> I'm not bothered by them until I have to reconcile two authors/editors
> who are using different methods.
>
> The difference between a random bunch of documents stored together and
> an organized, quality document project is a) consistent methodology, and
> b) sticking to a) until everyone agrees to change the method.
>
> My request is, if you have an idea of how to do something better than
> our current methodology, please *suggest* it as a new solution,
I've recently looked at two XML based diff engines.
Neither seem appropriate for this projects use.
  the sourceforge one has possibilities though,

>  and
> we'll get a quick consensus and move forward.  Telling new users to just
> do something different from what is laid out in our project guide is
> confusing for the user and detrimental to the project.

I don't tell people anything.
Just saying what I use, and have done for 7 years.
YMMV.

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ