draft notice text

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Sep 17 20:19:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 12:21, Tammy Fox wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:51, Dave Pawson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 16:32, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> > > If we can turn the footnote function back on for Fedora, that would be
> > > great IMHO.
> >
> > Is this project obligued to keep in step with rhel?
> >

> No. We are not obligated to keep in step with RHEL. We are using a
> different toolchain and can agree to upgrade to DocBook 5 when it comes
> out if we want to. When a question comes up, I have been mentioning how
> we solved the problem internally with our DocBook SGML toolchain to
> offer a solution. Sometimes we agree to do the same thing. Sometimes we
> agree to do something different.

I bring up items about the RHEL toolchain to explain the history behind
a practice, which may tie in with discovering how it something works
better or different in XMLS DocBook.  The internal toolchain is very
different from the one we are using in FDP.

Point of fact, this project may define the future of the RHEL toolchain,
in much the same way that Fedora Core influences RHEL.  This explains
some of why I personally am wrestling with these issues, I'll be working
with the decisions we make now for years to come. :)

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41