proposal: Setting up a samba server on Fedora Core 4

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 12:36:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 01:58 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 01:39 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:
>
> > Posting a link to HTML is best, as it is the most convenient format for
> > people to access. The DocBook tools produce HTML, so once you switch
> > over it's easy to do the same.
>
> In addition, when you have the HTML at a stage when you are ready to
> convert it to XML, we will help.  There are a couple of useful html2db
> tools out there that can help start the conversion.
>
> I think HTML links are the best.  It helps make it clear it is not a
> formal Fedora document yet.  As it progresses, we'll convert it to XML,
> add a draft notice/caveat, create a component in bugzilla for tracking,
> get it into CVS, etc.

Peter and all,

If you're using Fedora Core 4, and you have the
openoffice.org-javafilter package installed, you will find that you can
write the body of your document with OpenOffice.org Writer, and do a
conversion after you're finished.  Since almost everyone on this list is
running OpenOffice.org, that should make early collaboration very easy,
just by emailing drafts back and forth.  Once you're happy with a draft
and it's ready for CVS, you can use the OO.o DocBook XML filters to save
the document.  (I wouldn't convert it until you're really ready; the
filters for *importing* XML to OO.o's OpenDocument format are really not
that good yet.)

First, make sure you have the openoffice.org-javafilter package
installed:

 # yum install openoffice.org-javafilter

Now, write/import/edit your document in OO.o.  BIG TIP:  Use the Stylist
to select styles for your headings.  When you select Heading 1, you open
a first-level section.  After you type the heading title, just hit
Enter, and the style changes automatically to make the following
paragraphs part of that DocBook section (<sect1>).  If you select
Heading 2, and type a title, the following paragraphs are part of that
DocBook second-level section (<sect2>).  Although FDP uses <section> and
not <sectN>, that's very easy to fix later.

The main point of doing this is that it makes writing easier for you,
and should make the DocBook conversion relatively easy for other
contributors when it's time to add the doc to CVS.

When you're finished, select File -> Save As... and choose the "File
Type" option.  Select DocBook from the list, and give a name to your
file.  If you have "Automatic file extension" selected, OO.o adds the
".xml" extension to the file name.

This in itself is a good reason to switch to FC4 if you haven't done so
already!