Wiki musings

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 12:01:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 10:16 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 23.08.2005, 17:26 -0700 schrieb Karsten Wade:
> > We had a lively discussion about Wiki at the FDSCo meeting this week.
> [...]
> > To get those, we need to move our process to include the Wiki.
> That's a very good strategy, I think.
>
> > * Create a structure in the Wiki that will let us host a Docs/Drafts/Foo
> > and a Docs/Foo, to help differentiate draft content
>
> Maybe I missunderstand that, but wouldn't it be preferrable to have one
> integrated table with all content, marked as doc/draft/wiki in one
> column to provide an easy overview and orientation for the user? For the
> detail view you can easily organize it in a /doc  /doc/draft/ ...
> structure to fulfill the technical needs of the infrastructure.

The problem I see with that approach is that with Drafts, we probably
want to *discourage* users who are casually browsing the Wiki from
gleaning incorrect guidance.  If they can read a table full of all the
docs at once, many of them will ignore admonitions and read draft docs
with an unwarranted level of confidence.  I think any table of Drafts
should be separated from the table of "finished" documentation.