RFC: RPM Changelog thoughts

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 12:25:51 UTC 2005

> Hi
>
> >Now that I look at the voluminous output, I'm less sure that we want
> >the CVS log in the RPM.  I think your current dummied-up %changelog
> >is perhaps more useful.
> >

> I think dummying up the change log might be the wrong solution here.
> Changelog should be split up from the RPM spec and stored seperately.
> File a enhancement request?

This is really a process change and not a bug, but as James has already
made this suggestion on list, it's probably a good idea to discuss it
here.  Specifically, does doing this create any extra burdens on authors
or editors, or should the ChangeLog file (to feed the RPM %changelog)
simply include packaging-specific information?  I would prefer the
latter to avoid needless duplication of work.  In other words, although
the CVS log and/or revision history might have entries with info like
this:

 - style changes
 - push to version x.y.z, move to final editorial

...the ChangeLog file would instead only include packaging specific
entries or things which have nothing to do with the CVS content (much
like code packages):

 - Update to x.y.z
 - Fix OMF file

Comments?