Few questions about the Admin Gude

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 21:44:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 21:15 +1300, Vladimir Kosovac wrote:
> Hi people.
>
> I am about to start writing draft for Users/Accounts module of the
> guide. Can anybody confirm whether I'm on the right track if module is
> structured as per below:
>
> 1] Intro
+         - Briefly say what the entire chapter/section covers
> 	- A bit about the general stuff (multi-user system, root vs
> unprivileged accounts, etc.)
> 	- Explanation of relevant files in /etc
> 	- What happens in the background when adding/modifying users/groups
> 2] Managing users/groups using system-config-users
> 3] 			"		using command line utilities
> 4] Password policies
> 5] Additional documentation
>
> Does anything else needs covering?

Other than that addition above, the list seems complete to me.  I
reviewed and lightly edited/reformatted that page, the work is good.

Oh, is it worth mentioning or even just linking to SELinux
documentation?  Using su to switch users does not necessarily change the
user's role, does it?

Do you think it is worth covering permission escalation, e.g., su and
sudo?

There is content about sudo that we can pull as-is with updates into
this guide.  It is unpublished AFAICT, but the source is in CVS:

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/lxr/docs/source/sudo-tutorial/
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/lxr/docs/source/sudo-tutorial/en_US/sudo-tutorial.xml

You can grab the module, which may not build as-is, by doing this:

cd /path/to/local/CVS/sandbox
export CVSROOT=:ext:<username>@cvs.fedoraproject.org:/cvs/docs
cvs -z3 co docs-common sudo-tutorial

I just tested, and this works:

cd sudo-tutorial
make html-en_US

You can then copy/paste from the HTML into the Docs/Drafts/...  Unless
this belongs in someone else's module. :)  In that case, they should use
this content. :) :)

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project