Few questions about the Admin Guide

Vladimir Kosovac vnk at mkc.co.nz
Wed Dec 6 23:29:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, December 7, 2006 10:44 am, Karsten Wade wrote:
|*| On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 21:15 +1300, Vladimir Kosovac wrote:
|*|> Hi people.
|*|>
|*|> I am about to start writing draft for Users/Accounts module of the
|*|> guide. Can anybody confirm whether I'm on the right track if module is
|*|> structured as per below:
|*|>
|*|> 1] Intro
|*| +         - Briefly say what the entire chapter/section covers
|*|> 	- A bit about the general stuff (multi-user system, root vs
|*|> unprivileged accounts, etc.)
|*|> 	- Explanation of relevant files in /etc
|*|> 	- What happens in the background when adding/modifying users/groups
|*|> 2] Managing users/groups using system-config-users
|*|> 3] 			"		using command line utilities
|*|> 4] Password policies
|*|> 5] Additional documentation
|*|>
|*|> Does anything else needs covering?
|*|
|*| Other than that addition above, the list seems complete to me.  I
|*| reviewed and lightly edited/reformatted that page, the work is good.

Thanks

|*| Oh, is it worth mentioning or even just linking to SELinux
|*| documentation?  Using su to switch users does not necessarily change the
|*| user's role, does it?
|*|
|*| Do you think it is worth covering permission escalation, e.g., su and
|*| sudo?

I considered this with the targeted audience in mind, which I think is
more technical than say, DUG's readers. Therefore I wanted to avoid
paranoid approach to root account usage (with few warnings, of course) and
write a bit about sudo, as widely accepted good way of obtaining
privileges for one-off jobs. Linking to SELinux docs from here seems more
appropriate than other-way-around.

|*| There is content about sudo that we can pull as-is with updates into
|*| this guide.  It is unpublished AFAICT, but the source is in CVS:
|*|
|*| http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/lxr/docs/source/sudo-tutorial/
|*|
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/lxr/docs/source/sudo-tutorial/en_US/sudo-tutorial.xml
|*|
|*| You can grab the module, which may not build as-is, by doing this:
|*|
|*| cd /path/to/local/CVS/sandbox
|*| export CVSROOT=:ext:<username>@cvs.fedoraproject.org:/cvs/docs
|*| cvs -z3 co docs-common sudo-tutorial

    Will co this and have a look.

Cheers, Vladimir

|*| I just tested, and this works:
|*|
|*| cd sudo-tutorial
|*| make html-en_US
|*|
|*| You can then copy/paste from the HTML into the Docs/Drafts/...  Unless
|*| this belongs in someone else's module. :)  In that case, they should use
|*| this content. :) :)
|*|