Updated Server Guide for Fedora Core 5

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 16:51:12 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 15:29 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 16:05 +1000, Miles Brennan wrote:
> >> I wrote the "Linux Home Server HOWTO" which is located at
> >> http://www.brennan.id.au, and I have just recently updated the
> >> documentation for Fedora Core 5, this was an extensive rewrite (with
> >> further additional info) for many chapters.
> >>
> >> The HOWTO is approx 20 chapters which covers all aspects of setting up
> >> FC as a home gateway server as a step-by-step guide for beginners to
> >> intermediates - yum, bind (with DDNS update conf), ntpd, dhcpd, squid,
> >> sendmail, dovecot, spamassassin, clamav (and milter), vsftpd, cups,
> >> sshd, mysqld, samba, nfs (and V4), and ldap etc... and a chapter
> >> explaining the concepts of iptables/firewall configs.
>
> > Hi Miles.  I took a quick look at your extensive (and commendable!)
> > work, and had the following constructive observations:
> >
> > 1.  The document is licensed as CC BY-NC-SA, so you would need to
> > relicense it as OPL 1.0 [2] for the Fedora Documentation Project to use
> > it.
> >
> > 2.  The document would benefit from style editing.
>
> While I don't disagree with your comments,
> I would be much more enthusiastic about this document.

I did use the word "commendable" in there somewhere... ;-)  These days,
I usually withhold my more blatant and gushing enthusiasm until such
time as additional folks step up to help whip these documents into
fighting shape.  Looking at our contributor list[1], I see a lot of
names that popped up for roughly five minutes on the mailing list and
then were never seen again.

Would you be interested in joining in the effort[2]?  Your enthusiasm
could be contagious if followed up with some elbow grease!  :-)

= = =
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Contributors
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/NewWriters

     Fedora Project Board: http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board