translation-quick-start-guide improvement

Noriko Mizumoto noriko at redhat.com
Fri Jul 14 02:49:36 UTC 2006

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 14:59 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
>
>>Hi fedora-docs team
>>
>>During the translation process of translation-quick-start-guide, I have
>>encountered a couple points not covered well or possibly info changed.
>>
>>o For "4.1. Downloading Documentation", cvs repository path is explained
>>as "ext:username at cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/docs", but it was corrected
>>in sometime here to "cvs.fedoraproject.org". Could you mind to clarify this?
>

> They are the same machine.  We are moving to using 'fedoraproject.org'
> instead of 'fedora.redhat.com' by convention.

Thanks Karsten!
Filed the bug, asking to update.

>>o For "2.3. Accounts for Documentation", it would be nice if the section
>>could contain more information/link about cvsdocs account. Translators
>>from existing translation project (for software) may need more step by
>>step instruction. I will file a bug for the author.
>

> The author can use this page as a source for instructions:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing
>
> The first question addresses how to get an account.  I recommend using
> that information, then linking to the WikiEditing page from the
> trans-q-s-g for any other questions.

Added this information in the bug.

>>o For publishing process, does the translator need to obtain the account
>>of wiki-edit for adding the translation into Publish Que? If so then,
>>the instruction of wiki-edit account may also be needed to add?
>

> The PublishQueue page is a short-term work around until the content
> management system (CMS) is ready.  The CMS lets us have a workflow of
> author/translate <-> edit -> publish, all through a single system.

This is excellent!
I can't wait.

> I do not think we can continue to use this work around with many
> thousands of translators. :)  This is one reason why it is highly
> important to get translation CVS moved to cvs.fedoraproject.org, so we
> can use your existing processes and tools.

Yes, strongly agreed.

> Currently, when translating documentation or strings from software, how
> does each language team:
>
> 1. Have another translator approve/agree that the translation is
> accurate?
>
> 2. Signal that the translation is accurate and ready to be incorporated
> back into the software package?

For software transaltion, we do have the interface to manage.
http://elvis.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-status

1. If particular module has it's trans-maintainer, he/she will approve
the translation. For example, you can see it by going to the status of
JA => click anaconda/ module, then there is 'Translation Status' field
saying QA [Approve].
http://elvis.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-status?page=module&locale=ja&module=anaconda&referrer=status&branch=HEAD&essential=0
2. If the module has no maintainer, the translator can post the diff
into f-t-ja asking others to review. This is more likely to say common
practice performed among Japanese team. So it may not apply other languages.
3. Package maintainer needs to pick up latest translation for build.

For documentation, we need to rely on trans-q-s-g, and this is the
reason I am working on it.

o PublishQueue page should work for cvsdoc. Btw, who will actually
publish it into appropriate place, for example trans-q-s-g-ja?

o For wiki translation, almost same procedure with the above 2 of
software (asking for proofread) seems working for Japanese team.

> To get back to your specific question -- right now, yes, a translator
> who is working in cvs.fedoraproject.org/cvs/docs needs to edit that Wiki
> page when a document is ready for publishing.  Fortunately, getting Wiki
> edit privileges is the easy part, once the CLA is signed and the CVS
> account is obtained, anyone with a Wiki edit account can put the new
> person in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EditGroup.

Filed the bug, asking for new section on publishing.
Once CMS is ready, trans-q-s-g can be updated easier.

> Can you add this to your bug report so the step can be added/explained
> more in the trans-q-s-g?

Yp!
All information added.
I also will be able to give a hand to the author further if he wish.

cheers
noriko