Fedora Installation Guide writer opening

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jul 26 15:06:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 11:09 -0500, James McElhannon wrote:

> I guess what I'm thinking about is an article whose link was distributed
> to the group.  At the end of the article, Karsten's profile was given as:
>
> <quote>
> About the author
> Karsten Wade is the leader of the Fedora Documentation Project and a
> senior developer relations manager at Red Hat. Formerly a services
> consultant and Engineering technical writer, Karsten is now focused on
> bringing corporate developers the Red Hat world of content, community,
> and collaboration found in the best practices of free/libre and open
> source software.
> </quote>
>
> That sounds like someone whose job is based on Fedora.  So, based on
> that, I would stand by my earlier statement (at least for Karsten):

Rahul is correct.  I've been a volunteer for the Fedora Documentation
Project for over two years and have given at least as much personal time
as any other individual involved.

What you are quoting is a biography.  I could have added, "Father of two
dancing, singing, acting, gardening, currently sleeping daughters," but
that doesn't mean I get paid by Red Hat to be a Dad. :)

> <quote>
> For the folks on the list with redhat email addresses, isn't it your job
> to be participants in this and other related projects?  Isn't it your
> job to increase the participation in such projects and to heighten the
> profile of Fedora?
> </quote>
>
> So, I take issue with criticism of those who are exclusively using their
> own precious time and effort without any job-related association.

You have to accept that you are mistaken.  No one at Red Hat is paid to
work on Fedora documentation, especially not myself.  I am not rated on
my performance in Fedora.  If my work output suffers because of working
on Fedora, that can affect my performance rating at work.   If I have
two deadlines, one internal and one Fedora, I am in the same position as
every single one of you.[1]

So considering that, do you understand my wondering what you all are up
to?

Sorry if that wasn't clear.  I know it is a common misconception that
everyone with an @redhat.com email address is paid to work on Fedora.
Unfortunately, it is just not true.

- Karsten

[1] Ironically, there is at least one jerk-of-a-manager out there who
looked at all my work in Fedora and figured that I must be shirking on
my for-pay work; how could I be doing so much of both?  His mistake was
assuming that I clock only 40 hours of combined work.  At about another
20 hours a week on a regular basis, and now you can understand how I can
do a full-time job and a part-time volunteer job.
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project