cvs - success!! / help + more

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 14:07:03 UTC 2006

Adam, some comments follow...

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 08:40 +0000, Adam Moreland wrote:
> I followed what you said and success!! I have access to the cvs tree and can
> see all. I am able to see the files such as ones in docs-common, but what
> commands can i issue to be able to open them, to read through and cehck for
> errors and edit (i did see you have to set a file as watched before
> editing??) i can see the tree when i issue the command cvs -t co -c, but
> what are the basic commands to open folders and open files to view and
> edit??
>
> Obviously at this point it would be good to know just what rules there are.
> i have read the rules on the wiki, but id like to know what "In-house"
> etiqute is performed. For example to start with if i am reading through and
> notice a spelling / grammar error, a) how do i edit said file and b) whats
> is the procedure, as in do i contact the owner directly or through mailing
> list??

Adam, it is not a good idea to just start editing documents without
checking with the owner first.  This is especially true since you are
just starting with the project and we haven't seen any of your existing
documentation work.  I am sure you will do a good job, though.  What you
might want to do is start by looking at the drafts available in the wiki
at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts and seeing what you can
help with there.  We need help with the Getting Started Guide, the
Desktop Users Guide, and so forth.  Feel free to pitch in since you get
much more immediate results there!

> And again thank you for help. The solution was as said. I needed to get
> another ssh key and upload that, since i was still using a root one. this
> has been corrected and i am now a non-super user account. it was habit to
> log in to terminal and su, but i have stopped doing so.

We have a number of people in the Docs Project who are experienced Linux
people and will be happy to lend their expertise.  You may want to make
a habit of checking in and hanging out on IRC at #fedora-docs and
meeting some of our wonderful contributors.  Hope to see you there!