Self-Introduction: Adam Moreland

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon May 22 20:22:14 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 17:46 +0000, Adam Moreland wrote:
> I have an ambition to help out as much as i can. I love Linux and want to
> spread the word about how great Linux is, at the same time as making it more
> accessible to the general public. Part of the problems lie in the complex
> nature of Linux and the huge number of separate resources needed to solve
> problems. Id like to see these issues resolved and brought closer together
> so that the resources can be found in one specific location, the Linux
> Documentation Project. I want to see as many come over from Microsoft as is
> possible to increase the numbers of users on Linux accessing great open
> source applications.

I'm curious how you see doing this.

I've thought and talked with a few cross-distro content people about how
to tackle the common, commodity, plain old Linux content that is the
same across all distros.  And is there that much the same?

We're talking primarily about userspace here.  When it comes to e.g. the
kernel or other developer-focused content, that comes from the project
itself and is mainly the same across most distros.

Still, it would make great sense for us to take even a useful 30% of the
LDP and find a way for us to add value (upstream fixes, become
maintainers) and derive value (pull the source into the FDP as the base
of some documentation.)

Still, this would require licensing details be fixed.  We are only using
documents under the OPL without options[1].  In function this means an
author needs to license the work under the OPL without options, but can
also license it under another license (such as the GPL or the GNU FDL).
Thus, a single document can be used as the source by one author.

Stickiness may ensue when we are handing our OPL licensed bits back
upstream.  Would we (FDP) be required to make those bits available under
other licenses?  If so, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Regardless, if we put together a plan and have some questions, we can
get them answered.

- Karsten

[1] http://opencontent.org/openpub
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/