what next?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 13:58:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 20:28 +0100, Bela Pesics wrote:

> Pretty nice examples, consider the structure of these as well:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Ah, good ol' DocBook XML, how nice it is for making books. :)

> I can also imagine using http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/ for something. I
> am curious if the referenced materials could be used to put together a
> handbook without double efforts in a efficient way.

None of that content is directly relevant to Fedora; to make it relevant
either requires a user who can make the mental switches, or a writer who
edits the content to make it fit.  Also, I don't think that content is
licensed for us to use in any way other than to read it.

But ... hmm ... there has been discussion in the past of having a
kbase.fedoraproject.org that is a stand-alone knowledgebase.  If we
opened it to all Fedora account holders and had kbase articles queued
for this team to edit (part of a workflow), maybe we could build up
something very useful.  I could see many discussions on e.g. fedora-list
or fedoraforum.org being worth migrating into a kbase article.

So, this is an idea to follow, but not sure if we can directly connect
such live content into a handbook.  Certainly as a source for
inspiration, such as finding out the most commonly asked questions to
give an idea of what people need us to write about.

> And finally don't forget
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/security-guide/
> (e.g. the vpn question)
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/selinux-guide/
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/step-guide/

Heh, I could never forget those. :)

> Obviously these are not fedora docs and most people using fedora know
> about them, however not everybody, and these are not compatible
> everywhere, but I am sure there are some useful peaces. So they should
> be referenced somehow. (sometimes better than empty wiki pages)

We may be able to fold some of that content directly in, rewritten to
match Fedora.  Let's not make any plans that require that content, which
is too bad since it would provide such a huge base to work from :(, but
let's be prepared to be surprised.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project