KDE inclusion

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:23:28 UTC 2006

> Karsten Wade wrote:
> > I went to bed last night thinking, "We need to add Kmail, Konversation,
> > and Konquerer to the DUG," and then I read this today from John:
> >
> >> We will need an equivalent Desktop User Guide for KDE like what now
> >> exists for GNOME. See
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide.
> >> This should probably be a separate document for now.
> >
> > I actually think we could just reorganize and put KDE and GNOME content
> > all into the same guide.  Much of the surrounding content is the same
> > (logging in, etc.), so it would increase maintenance of identical
> > documentation.  In XML we can more easily build custom DUGlets, that is,
> > a DUG with a specific desktop only focus.  I think keeping all eyes on
> > one DUG with dual-WM support should do it.  Does that sound reasonable?
> >

> The documentation team needs to carefully look at the effects of this
> proposal - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit/ReleaseProcess.
> Modularizing content the same way the packages are done allowing people
> to somehow specify "dependencies" might work.

Yes, modularization of content is something we've been discussing since
before last year's FUDCon in Boston.  This becomes increasingly
important in the event that Red Hat Content Services releases their
documentation content to the community under compatible licensing.
Certain areas will be useful as is, while we may need to change others
to reflect Fedora more closely.

It turns out this is actually quite easy using XInclude in DocBook XML,
which we've been doing for some time now.