Self-Introduction: Jonathan Roberts

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 20:43:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 14:46 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My name is Jonathan Roberts and I've been following the list for a
> while and thinking about contributing but not really sure about the
> best place to start - I figured I can't go wrong with a
> self-introduction :D

Good to meet you Jonathan!  The best place to start is often to simply
look at the draft documentation on the wiki at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts and see what you'd like to
improve.  (I'd lean away from creating brand new documents since we're
still trying to wrangle a number of these into shape, including the
Desktop User Guide.)

> Things you may want to know about me:
>
> I live in the UK and I'm currently taking a gap year before heading
> off to university to study Theology, rather bizarely after changing my
> mind about studying Physics and Philosophy last year! To help me pass
> the time I've worked on a few projects: the Questions Please...
> podcast (http://questionsplease.org) where I've interviewed a range of
> very exciting people including Richard Stallman, Jeremy Allison, Jeff
> Waugh and Mark Shuttleworth - though struggling to get a hold of
> someone from the Fedora Project; I've also almost finished producing
> the "Free Me" DVD - an attempt to promote free culture in general
> (http://questionsplease.org/freeme/) which I'm quite excited about.

I am CC'ing Max and Greg on this email so they can see whether one of
them has time to participate as a resident BMOC and Voice of
Fedora.  :-)

[...snip...]
> I don't really have an idea of specific documents I would like to
> (help) write at the minute, I'll be sure to give this some thought
> over the next few days, but I do know that I would like to contribute
> back something to Fedora and I have the time and the inclination to,
> hopefully, make a reasonable contribution to the documentation
> project; if there's ever any editing that needs doing I'm happy to
> look over things like that as well.

I started this way too, back in 2003, and since then I've been fortunate
enough to have people willing to help me learn DocBook and XML, XSLT,
GNU Make, CVS and Subversion, some Python, and a few other odds and
ends.  Much of it was done on Fedora Docs "property" and with generous
dollops of patience on the part of the victims^Wother volunteers. ;-)

Getting involved is basically a matter of rolling up one's sleeves and
delving into something interesting, however new or unfamiliar.  You will
reap great rewards as a result!  (That's my Chinese fortune cookie mode
in full view.)