DocsProject wikispace reorganization [RFC]

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:21:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 19:58 +0100, Bart Couvreur wrote:

> Hey *,
>
> in spite of the recent "Docs Project Structure" mail, I've been trying
> to get my head around the wiki-space we own.
>
> People who want to see how - should I call it unorganized? - our
> project's pages are, go to the DocsProject page and add anything to the
> url that doesn't exist, it'll give you a list of all pages beneath
> DocsProject/ (e.g. fp.o/wiki/DocsProject/foo)
>
> So here's a reorganization proposal:
>
> DocsProject/
>  |-- Join
>  |    |--Writer
>  |    |--Editor
>  |    \--Translator
>  |-- Goals / Mission
>  |-- Schedule
>  |    \--some pages with details (e.g. specific schedules on DUG, IG)
>  |-- Tasks (considering all FDP related tasks and processes)
>  |    |--Guides
>  |    |--Relnotes
>  |    |--Browser splash page
>  |    |--Plone
>  |    |--Ideas-page
>  |    \--Release announcement (not sure if we should do this)
>  |-- FDSCo (or steering committee)
>  |    |--Charter
>  |    |--Meeting minutes
>  |    |--Elections
>  |    |--Nominations
>  |    \--Task Schedule
>  \-- Workflow
>       |--Docbook (how to write + intro)
>       |--CVS (usage)
>       |--Wiki (how to write)
>       |--Publishing (web, PDF?)
>       \--Tools
>
> And some general ideas:
> a) Create a default template for all Docs-related pages on the wiki
> (breadcrumb, default header, ...) to create a common look-and-feel
> b) Move everything in /Docs/Drafts to DocsProject/Drafts so users know
> that everything in /Docs is published documentation.
>
> As I said, it's all just an idea / proposal. Comments?

As an exercise in -- I don't know, hubris? ignorance? -- I'm going to
look at this list and make sugggestions, *completely blind* to the
actual content of the current wiki.

1.  Goals/Mission should be combined, cut down to a single concise
paragraph or list, and appear on the front page.

2.  The FDSCo/TaskSchedule stuff should be moved under the Schedule/
namespace.  Everyone can work on these tasks, not just FDSCo members,
and both the Publication Schedule and the DocTools Schedule should be
linked or transcluded on the main schedule page.

3.  The Workflow pages are a great asset and should relieve the
Documentation Guide of some of its content.  I think Karsten was in
agreement with this point, since we worked on that some at FUDCon.

4.  The browser splash page now exists, and there's probably no need to
document it on the wiki -- we can use Bugzilla for RFE's or to track
problems and to-do's.

5.  There should perhaps be a Join item for Toolchain Builder.

That's all I have.  This is a great goal and I would love to see people
start cobbling on this stuff ASAP once we have buy-in from enough
contributors.  Bart, I think you just elected yourself point-man! :-)