Self-Introduction / Fedora Translation Project

John Charron fedora.redhat.user at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 23:50:10 UTC 2007

John, Karsten, Paul,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm eager to get started, but having trouble getting access to the documents
to be translated. I must be missing something here.

I was able to 'take' the "French (France) timezones" translation at
http://i18n.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-status using the login and PIN sent to
me via email a couple of weeks ago by fedora-trans-list-owner at redhat.com,
however I then 'released' it because I would like to have a look at it
before taking it. The problem I'm having is from the terminal. This is what
I get when I enter the following commands (from translator's quick start
guide):

[linux at localhost ~]$ export CVS_RSH=ssh
[linux at localhost ~]$ export
CVSROOT=:ext:fcrhuser at i18n.redhat.com:/usr/local/CVS

[linux at localhost ~]$ cvs -z9 co translate/
Connection closed by 66.187.233.241
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
any)
[linux at localhost ~]$

I read the FAQ and some other documentation, but just can't figure out
what's missing or not quite right. I don't really understand the procedure
and how this system of accessing documents works yet. Could somebody give me
a hand?

Many thanks,

John

P.S. - I've also tried figuring out how to use IRC to chat on #fedora-docs,
but haven't had any success yet. I'll do some more searching and googling
though...

On 10/03/07, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com > wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 14:44 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 15:09 +0100, John Charron wrote:
> > > Self-Introduction: John Charron - Fedora Translation Project
> >
> > Hola John,
> >
> > > Linux and Fedora are relatively new to me and so is ICT. As
> > > translator, I don't yet know what aspects of the Fedora Project would
> > > interest me most. Although the translation of material related to my
> > > areas of specialization interests me (programs for amateur and
> > > professional musicians, electronic dictionaries, translation software,
> > > applications for foreign language training, etc.), I would also be
> > > interested in translating more technical documentation on various
> > > ICT-related topics. I will be studying computer science at the local
> > > university here in Montpellier from September 2007 and would like my
> > > work for the project to be both a contribution and a learning
> > > experience.
> >
> > Excellent; you are starting in a good place within Fedora.  From here
> > you'll be able to see into many places and decide what else is
> > interesting to you.
> >
> > You may want to look into fedora-music-list; it's been mainly technical
> > about e.g. Planet CCRMA.  One great thing about free software is how
> > many people have talents and interests in other areas.  Always dynamic
> > people doing interesting things!
>
> Yes, and make sure you say howdy to Dimitris Glezos (IRC nick "glezos"),
> who is involved with us, the Translation (L10N) project and
> Infrastructure.  He may have some tips, advice, or just a good word of
> the day. :-)
>
> > > I am looking forward to participating in the Fedora Translation
> > > Project and eager to becoming more involved in the Fedora community!
> >
> > Welcome!
>
> Ditto!
>
> > > P.S. - I need cvsdocs membership approval (see below) and may need
> > > some help getting started as well. Many thanks.
> >
> > Done.  Thanks for the reminder, it sometimes takes us a while to notice
> > people's requests.
> >
> > You'll also want to request access to the new 'cvsl10n' group; we are
> > currently working on bringing documentation translation back into the
> > Fedora infrastructure.  Keep your eyes open here and on
> > fedora-trans-list for more details.
>
> And feel free to ask questions here or in IRC (irc.freenode.net ,
> #fedora-docs).  Someone is almost always around to help.
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields, RHCE                          http://paul.frields.org/
>   gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>       Fedora Project:   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields
>   irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
>
> --

John Charron