guess I need to seek an invitation to join the DocWritersGroup?

Nelson Strother xunilarodef at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 06:20:38 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 12:11:27 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 08:34 -0400, Nelson Strother wrote:
>> But when I start to create the page:
>>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/WiFiNetworking
>> I discover one would need to be in the DocWritersGroup (instead of
>> the mere EditGroup) to do that.

> That's weird -- there's an ACL on Docs/Drafts allowing anyone to read
> and write pages under that hierarchy.  Can anyone else test or comment?

  For the benefit of any readers here who are not also subscribed to the page:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts

I found that even after being added to the DocWritersGroup, my attempt
to edit was still rewarded with:

  You are not allowed to edit this page.

So after a bit of investigation, I found an explanation and posted it
on that page as:

  Everything in this section is editable by users in the EditGroup,
once you allow
  your web browser to accept cookies from fedoraproject.org.

in place of the previous "... editable by the DocWritersGroup."
Karsten Wade subsequently commented:

  The cookies are a global requirement for the entire Wiki.

as he made the explanation more concise by removing any mention of the
cookie.  Well, an even better way to help users would be to improve
the error message so that it informs one:

  You are not allowed to edit this page, or you need to accept a
cookie from this
  site so that your editing privilege is recognized.

But it appears this error message arises from the heart of MoinMoin in
/moin-1.5.8/MoinMoin/PageEditor.py where the logic does not separate the case
of concern here from others where the appropriate error messages might resemble:

  You are not allowed to edit this page, or you need to login to this
  site so that your editing privilege is recognized.

  You are not allowed to edit this page, or you need to create an
account at this
  site so that you can login and seek editing privileges.

Since these changes could not be made in a fedoraproject.org specific
configuration file, and are somewhat non-trivial to ask of MoinMoin, I
suspect we should accept this catch-all error message as immutable.
So, I invite you to point out where we document the need to allow a
cookie from fedoraproject.org to be set?  Using the Search box for
"cookie" in any Text finds nothing more pertinent than the indirect
implication a careful reader might find at the bottom of their
UserPreferences page.  But a user who is not a CookieMonster may read
this and think "What cookie?" because their browser is not configured
to accept cookies in general.

  I've learned this lesson for the second time in several months (and
have a reminder that may assist my memory the next time my browser
configuration is mistakenly trashed).  We do not care about the
frustration this lack of documentation causes for all first-time
members of the EditGroup who are not also CookieMonsters?

> I've added you to the DocWritersGroup, but you're right, that should not
> have been necessary.

  If Paul or anyone else has a moment to demote me so that I am no
longer a member of the DocWritersGroup that would allow me to be
certain that the theory behind the current statement ("editable by all
users in the EditGroup") is indeed accurate.

Cheers,
Nelson