guess I need to seek an invitation to join the DocWritersGroup?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 16:11:27 UTC 2007

Nelson gave me permission to repost this to the list.  We'd like to keep
as many discussions public as possible, so that everyone can benefit
from them.

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 08:34 -0400, Nelson Strother wrote:
> First, as a word of introduction and thanks, I appreciate the
> work you invested in making
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveOS_README
> into a form that may lead to it actually appearing on the LiveCDs.

Thank you for writing the initial material!

>   So I finally have an initial draft completed for a WiFiNetworking
> manual, similar to what I had envisioned in the posting:
>   https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-July/msg03209.html
> But when I start to create the page:
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/WiFiNetworking
> I discover one would need to be in the DocWritersGroup (instead of
> the mere EditGroup) to do that.

That's weird -- there's an ACL on Docs/Drafts allowing anyone to read
and write pages under that hierarchy.  Can anyone else test or comment?

>   From the viewpoint of browsing the web,
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/WiFiNetworking
> seems like the natural place for this collection of information, but
> then it appears only a couple of dozen of us can edit the page.  I had
> naively thought I would be inviting the hundreds or more folks who can
> make changes anywhere in this wiki to assist in fleshing out and
> correcting this initial draft, but that would imply placing it in some
> random disconnected place such as:
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WiFiNetworking
> Interesting tradeoff, but I suspect there may be tales of document
> corruption that led to this structure.
>
>   So I am open to your advice, or eager to learn if you can assist
> me in joining DocWritersGroup so I can post this draft document.

I've added you to the DocWritersGroup, but you're right, that should not
have been necessary.  We want to encourage new contributors to draft
documents at their own convenience under the Docs/Drafts/ namespace.