Selinux guide

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Mon Jan 7 10:43:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 18:06 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 06:32 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 14:23 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > Using this sort of objective-based criterion, you can figure out what
> > > skills you need to cover, and usually in what order, to make a guide
> > > work, even if you have to condense information from a lot of different
> > > sources.  Once you have a general organization like this, you can have
> > > it influence your outline for the doc.  Hope this helps.
> >
> > It does help a lot thanks for the feedback.  Should we take the FAQ and
> > amalgamate it into this guide, it will use information from the FAQ
> > anyway.  What is left over can be created as a FAQ of this guide?
>
> My personal feeling is that the FAQ was great and indispensable when it
> was created, back around FC3 when we were still trying to rally people
> around all it could do.  Plus, I think Karsten cut off a huge chunk of
> time (of which he was already short) to put this together with some
> other Red Hat principals like Dan, because he saw it was necessary to
> get the info some publicity.
>
> I think those who are not sold on it at this point are sticking their
> heads in the sand and you should probably graduate this to doing a real
> guide. :-)  As we've already noted, the material that's in the FAQ is
> still 75-90% very applicable because of its general nature.  In some
> cases the tools are more robust, and guidance needs to be added or
> amended (like setroubleshoot/sealert or system-config-selinux).
>
> One thing I hear often from people is "How do I interpret this AVC
> message?  How do I know what to do about it?"  I'm sure there are others
> you can pick up on fedoraforum.org, and use them to feed the use cases,
> and thus the supporting outline material I alluded to earlier.  It's
> great that you're interested in doing this work -- it will probably be
> read by thousands, SERIOUSLY! :-)

Way to put some pressure on me performing :) Trying some of the things
in the selinux-faq it is definitely relevant and important hence my want
to add it as a section since there are points there that will solve
questions quickly.  Not the whole lot but some of it.

I will need significant help with it hence the request for feedback.

Cheers,

Marc