DUG + AG release planning

Vladimir Kosovac vnk at mkc.co.nz
Wed Jan 16 07:01:33 UTC 2008

To better prepare for the irc meetup this weekend, I've put together a
brief list of observations/food for thought[1] related to the current
status of AG draft.

So far, these people have confirmed participation:

- Bart (couf)
- Marc (mwiriadi/strikeforce)
- John (jmbuser)
- Vladimir (vnk_fd)

$date:
Saturday, 19th Jan. 14:00 (2 PM) UTC

It'd be good to assess current state of DUG release readiness, too and
try to assign some timed tasks to writers/editors/xml converters, etc.

[1]
== Sections ==

Introduction
------------
New, shinny intro required for release, existing intro is A draft doc
related, no change required

DirectoryStructure
------------------
Shoud this be part of the AG?

UserAccounts
------------
Edit-ready

Permissions
-----------
Edit-ready

AccessControlLists
------------------
XML conversion-ready

ManagingStorage
---------------
currently writing (vnk); may split into LVM only for F9 release and keep
the whole ToC here

Disks[RemovableStorage]
-----------------------
This stuff is mostly automatic these days - remove from AG?

ManagingSoftware
----------------
Edit-ready

ManagingServices
----------------
Edit-ready

ModifyingStartup
----------------
Not sure how beneficial would this be for the AG;
(too many too specific kernel parameters don't seem to have a place in a
general doc)

MailServer
----------
Sendmail needs just a bit of nursing; as with LVM, we may split sendmail
part into F9 release;
add dovecot config so receiving is covered;

WebServer
---------
some content available; needs editing and probably not much more
content, if any;

FTPServer
---------
anon ftp part is OK; will add few common options from vsftpd.conf to
cover authenticated ftp;

NetworkFileSystem
-----------------
Edit-ready

SambaServer
-----------
Edit-ready

DNSBIND
-------
probably needs a bit of trimming; bind-chroot is default;
should cover named.conf for various server roles and a few
zone/rev file examples, not much more;

Firewall
--------
I don't want to handle this one!

CupsPrinting
------------
existing page is inapropriate for AG;
in need of complete overhaul;

ModifyingXwindow
----------------
don't think this should be part of the AG;

MonitoringSystem
----------------
requirements on the AG front page are over the top;
should cover basic stuff (ps, top, df, du, logs/logrotate, free);

SchedulingTasks
Edit-ready

Possibly include:

Squid