Single Source Summary

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 30 16:57:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 09:45 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 17:12 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I wondered if anyone could spare some time to explain what direction the
> > SSS is taking!?
>
> The same as before. :)  Sorry, couldn't resist, since I seem to be the
> one cat with the whole picture in his head.
>
> We've poured all the content into Releases/9/SingleSourceSummary.  Then
> we are adding ## SPECIAL COMMENTS that can be used to identify
> sub-sections of that one page.  After that, we need to visit the various
> OverView and Releases/9/Summary pages and replace the content there with
> Include()s that pull in the content by ## SPECIAL COMMENT BLOCK.

OK - sounds good. I took a quick glance and it made my head spin so I
think I'll leave all the setting up and configuring to those who know
what they're doing! Unless you need some extra hands?

> > I was just thinking, from the point of view of work flows, that the work
> > done for the alpha/beta release notes is exactly what we're going to
> > need to base our final Release Overview on.
>
> This is true, yes.  That work becomes a bunch of other work, which is
> the point of the SSS, to reuse in an easy fashion.

Awesome :)

> Another point, the organization of the Alpha/Beta release notes compared
> to the "looks like the Beats page" of the final notes has spawned some
> of our Fedora UI experts to help us do a new release notes landing page
> that organizes content by people-areas instead of technology-areas.
> This would pull some content from the SSS for each people-area (desktop
> users, system administrators, developers, etc.).  That is either
> existing content or something new we need to write for the SSS.

OK, that sounds like a very cool idea!! Will this be going on to the
docs.fp.o site? And if so, would you all like a hand getting that to
work with the fedora.css file? After my experience hacking something
together for a n.fp.o site, I think I might be able to help here a
bit :)

Best wishes,

Jon