version comparison guidance (was Re: self introduction and rel notes advice)

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 2 20:44:38 UTC 2008

----- "Karsten 'quaid' Wade" <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> In general, the marketing approach is to talk about GA to GA.  For
> documentation, I could see arguments either way.
>
> Dale - great question!  Let's hash it out on list, set the guidance,
> and
> then you'll know.

It seems to me that release notes are strong marketing pieces, and are inherently documentation. For prudent people the release notes are often the the first thing they consult before upgrading, or taking the time to evaluate software through installation.

Describing the differences using the previous release notes gives one an apples to apples comparison. Also, assume F9 released with v1.0 of a pkg. Through updates it is now at v1.9. If F10 releases with v1.9, or even v2.0. Do you not describe all those enhancements between .0 and .9? I'd think those features would be worth bragging about in the rel notes.

That's basically how I came to the question. F9 has seen a few upgrades of libvirt with many feature enhancements from v0.4.2 up to 0.4.6 currently. I think describing the delta from 0.4.2 to the F10 version (0.4.6? 0.4.7?) is the only useful way to do it.

--
Dale Bewley - Unix Administrator - Shields Library - UC Davis
GPG: 0xB098A0F3 0D5A 9AEB 43F4 F84C 7EFD  1753 064D 2583 B098 A0F3