version comparison guidance (was Re: self introduction and rel notes advice)

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 16:08:24 UTC 2008

We have ourselves a good ol' fashioned disagreement, backed by a lack of
guidelines and consistency!  Let's have a closer look ...

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 18:12 -0400, Jason Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 22:55 -0700, Dale Bewley wrote:
> >
> > When describing new features of a release, should one describe the
> > improvements between the feature as it existed at F9 release time or as it
> > exists in the most recent F9 updates? I assume the former.
>
> Ideally, it would describe features as they differ from current release in its updated form.

... and ...

> Dale Bewley wrote:
>

> > When describing new features of a release, should one describe the
> > improvements between the feature as it existed at F9 release time or as it
> > exists in the most recent F9 updates? I assume the former.
>
> Release time is what we cover. That is we compare and note down details
> that is different between Fedora 9 GA and what is expected in Fedora 10 GA.

I would say ... sometimes we do one, sometimes the other, and we haven't
been very strict.

In general, the marketing approach is to talk about GA to GA.  For
documentation, I could see arguments either way.

Dale - great question!  Let's hash it out on list, set the guidance, and
then you'll know.

Karsten Wade, Community Gardener
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41