plan for working with release notes

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 21:30:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 16:53 -0400, Jared Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 13:41 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> > Does this sound like something we can ask the translators to do?
> >
> >         1. Docs team creates all the needed files in
> >         fedora-doc-utils/common/ for each language currently in
> >         release-notes/po/.
> >
> >         2. Translators clone f-d-u to be 'docs-common' locally, next to
> >         the release-notes module:
> >
> >         git clone git://fedorahosted.org/git/docs/release-notes
> >         git clone git://fedorahosted.org/git/fedora-doc-utils
> >         docs-common
>
> I thought one of the fundamental points was that we weren't going to
> force the translators to learn yet another SCM system.  We should offer
> alternatives (open a ticket with the info and one of us will do it for
> them) for the steps that would otherwise require tools like git.

Yes, that is a fundamental goal, and currently they don't need to use
*any* SCM to submit translations.  Translators can download the POT file
and submit the PO file via l10n.fedoraproject.org.  But for those who
want to build locally to check their work, they need a working
toolchain.

This is worth clarifying in updates to TQSG -- these are actions for
people who want to build locally.

I think a default action for someone who is stuck in any way is to open
a Trac ticket.

> >         3. If their language is not there, they create the PO file and
> >         the common files in ./docs-common/common by running
> >         './docs-common/common $LANG'.
> >
> >         4. Translators submit PO file changes via Transifex.
> >
> >         5. Translators update the LINGUA file via Transifex.
>
> Since this is a rare occurance (at least, I think it is)... we should
> point out that we'd be willing to create the common files for them if
> they don't want to install git.

Since creating the actual files in the repository requires commit
access, we might just want to simplify.  Thus step 3 becomes:

        3. If their language is not there, they can open a Trac ticket
        to get it included.  In the meantime, if they are feeling up to
        it, they can do this, substituting their language code for
        $LANG:

        cd docs-common/common
        ./new-legal-files.sh $LANG

> >         6. Translators submit any translations for the f-d-u/common/
> >         files via a new ticket in
> >         https://fedorahosted.org/release-notes.
> >
> >         7. Relnotes team submits the translated common files to git
> >         manually.
>
> Everything else above looks good to me.
>
> > My questions now are:
> >
> > * For the files in f-d-u/common, what -$LANG format should we be using?
> > For example, there is a po/de.po file, and a common/*-de_DE.xml.
>
> No clue... all I know is that some languages fall back... so for
> example, a en_US might fall back to en.

Interesting.  It appears that there is a parity right now between the
po/ folder and the common/ folder, especially since I merged the Korean
files.

> > * I added *ko.xml to f-d-u/common/.  How do I know if there are any
> > others missing?  Is it OK to expect translators to create those locally,
> > which makes their build work, and submit them to Docs?
>
> I don't know.  FYI, the Korean language stuff was done just last night.
> It's probably worth documenting what needs to be done to create a new
> language, so that people like myself who are inexperience with the
> translation process have a canonical source to know what to do.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Adding_languages_to_fedora-doc-utils

Not much for now, but keep on adding there. :)

Notice I added it to a new category that we can populate with more
pages:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_tools
--
Karsten Wade, Community Gardener