plan for working with release notes

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Wed Oct 22 20:53:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 13:41 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> Does this sound like something we can ask the translators to do?
>
>         1. Docs team creates all the needed files in
>         fedora-doc-utils/common/ for each language currently in
>         release-notes/po/.
>
>         2. Translators clone f-d-u to be 'docs-common' locally, next to
>         the release-notes module:
>
>         git clone git://fedorahosted.org/git/docs/release-notes
>         git clone git://fedorahosted.org/git/fedora-doc-utils
>         docs-common

I thought one of the fundamental points was that we weren't going to
force the translators to learn yet another SCM system.  We should offer
alternatives (open a ticket with the info and one of us will do it for
them) for the steps that would otherwise require tools like git.

>         3. If their language is not there, they create the PO file and
>         the common files in ./docs-common/common by running
>         './docs-common/common $LANG'.
>
>         4. Translators submit PO file changes via Transifex.
>
>         5. Translators update the LINGUA file via Transifex.

Since this is a rare occurance (at least, I think it is)... we should
point out that we'd be willing to create the common files for them if
they don't want to install git.

>         6. Translators submit any translations for the f-d-u/common/
>         files via a new ticket in
>         https://fedorahosted.org/release-notes.
>
>         7. Relnotes team submits the translated common files to git
>         manually.

Everything else above looks good to me.

> My questions now are:
>
> * For the files in f-d-u/common, what -$LANG format should we be using?
> For example, there is a po/de.po file, and a common/*-de_DE.xml.

No clue... all I know is that some languages fall back... so for
example, a en_US might fall back to en.

> * I added *ko.xml to f-d-u/common/.  How do I know if there are any
> others missing?  Is it OK to expect translators to create those locally,
> which makes their build work, and submit them to Docs?

I don't know.  FYI, the Korean language stuff was done just last night.
It's probably worth documenting what needs to be done to create a new
language, so that people like myself who are inexperience with the
translation process have a canonical source to know what to do.

-Jared