FUG?

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Sep 2 22:37:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 18:15 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I wondered what was happening with the FUG/DUG these days? And perhaps
> > more generally, what was happening with Docs Project? I've only been
> > following along loosely, and should probably check the archives, but I
> > was thinking about taking a crack at writing some stuff over the next
> > few weeks.
> >
> > Jon
> >

> I was working on it then RL stuff happened as in I started a new job and
> had to learn everything as soon as I started feeling comfortable in the
> job I hit 'busy' season.  So late nights from me means that I don't have
> any time to work on it. Plus I had a few issues with the docbook stuff
> and got frustrated when I couldn't fix it.

We had a new contributor looking at the User Guide the other day, trying
it out against Fedora 9, looking for inconsistencies or mistakes.  So
far, nothing has popped up.

So that is finished and ready to convert to DocBook.  That's one task.
Marc at least needs assistance.  Can anyone help?  We are using a new
wiki2DocBook solution this time, more to come very shortly on that.

It is also time to start updating the User Guide on the wiki (at
wiki/User_Guide) for Fedora 10, using the Cambridge Beta as a platform
for feature changes.  Beta is the feature freeze, so we should be able
to start basing documentation on that without undue fear of too much
changing.  As for the due fear, that happens ... (*cough* PackageKit
*cough*)

That is another task.  Jon, that's a good one to work on (aside from
anything untouched in Docs/Beats/*, as you are wish.)

A third task is thinking about this question and setting a goal from it:

        Can we open the User_Guide to any contributors, e.g. folks
        helping in #fedora, having a place to write canonical how-to
        docs?

I can envision that working by having a raw wiki environment, then
taking a subset-snapshot of that to run a final edit and conversion to
DocBook.  The guide writers decided what to polish for each run, ideally
increasing the quantity and quality of the XML version from the wiki
pool.

We can also add content to Category:User_Guide to be picked up in a
larger wiki-only aggregation.

Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41