Meeting tonight

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:19:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:05:35PM -0400, John J. McDonough wrote:
> From: "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>
>
>> Yeah, it's not clear to me why that standard was used,
>> or why other usage isn't supported.
>
> It seems to me that we *should* use the ISO, although what I read seemed a
> little vague, but the issue extends far beyond Docs.
>
>> Can you be more specific?  I might be able to offer the
>> meager knowledge I have if I know what problems you
>> faced.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't recall the exact cases because they made so little
> sense, but it seems to me that if I had a de-DE omf file, I would get the
> release notes in German, but an nl-NL would not.  There also seemed to be
> some inconsistency even within one language, which now that I think back,
> could have been related to the previous language.
>
> If you look at the screen on nl asking you to rename folders, the target
> names are in Dutch, but the outside instructions are in English.  I'm
> pretty sure I saw that entire thing in Dutch at least once, but on
> reflection, I may have been looking at German, since I was running through
> all the languages we had translated and I could have easily taken German
> for Dutch without a close look.

It's possible that that's the result of an incomplete 'nl' translation
in the code itself.  Shouldn't have much to do with the overall locale
treatment, I think.  All my menus presented as expected.

>>  On my box, for example, $LANG is set to
>> 'en_US.UTF-8'.
>
> Yes, but what is interesting is that if you log on in German, you get
> de.UTF-8, but with Dutch, you get en_US.UTF-8.  Seems like I may have seen
> one other language like that.  Someone also suggested I explore
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n, but that seems to always contain en_US no matter
> what.

Hm, my $LANG appeared as 'nl_NL.UTF-8' as expected when I logged in
using the procedure I noted previously.  The /etc/sysconfig/i18n file,
IIRC, just sets the system default.

>> I would argue that we don't need to package OMFs or
>> XML if we're providing the standard HTML-version builds
>> from Publican.
>
> I like that idea, actually.  I provided the same behavior as our current;
> System->Help provides About Fedora and Release notes in yelp,
> System->About Fedora provides only About Fedora also in yelp.  I don't see
> any obvious way to find the readme's tho.  If we put all the Docs on the
> System->Documentation menu as Publican does it would make more sense to
> me, but since I didn't understand how those menus get internationalized I
> didn't want to go there.

There were some objections by some people in the Desktop SIG to the
About Fedora menu item.  They wanted to remove it in favor of some
more elegant approach, but I don't remember if they ever spelled that
out.  Until they do, we should probably go with "least surprise" and
leave it there as the one bit of OMF/XML we include.  Good catch, and
thanks for reminding everyone about it!