CC license logos/buttons

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 10 21:55:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 09:41:02AM -0400, Karen Schneider wrote:
> > Well, it sounds more like a "replacement" for the license text itself.
> >  Either you use the text or you use the image as a link to the text.
> >
> > --Eric
> >

> Or, you use both, which you can't actually do according to the
> licensing terms in an actual print book (because you can't link from
> the logo--well, except maybe on a Kindle? :) ), but is probably not
> what was intended by the project per se.
>
> Logically, in a book, the logo out of context would be a bit
> meaningless anyway (unless you footnote it... and I don't want to
> imagine a world with footnoted logos), but the rule was obviously
> designed around an online presence, and then heavily lawyered.

They also seem to be treating them like protected marks
(cf. trademarks.)  They are very restrictive rules, but a summary
could be, "You cannot use our logos to refer or mean anything other
than what we say they mean."  Just as Fedora's trademark enforcement
won't allow someone to put the FEDORA logo on a canned meat product,
the CC restrictions also won't allow that.

- Karsten, IANAL etc.
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41