Self-Introduction:

David Nalley david.nalley at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 21 17:05:04 UTC 2009

> I had to go through) to "guide" a user through common uses like compiling
> kernel modules, maybe installing a Nvidia driver (or did they fix that it
> Fedora 12? I haven't had a blank Cd-r to install it with), etc.

Just a comment - and perhaps it is a philosophical one. Personally I
don't think documentation on installing Nvidia drivers is appropriate
for Fedora. One of Fedora' core beliefs is Freedom, and the Nvidia
binary blob kernel driver is certainly non-free. In addition, you'd be
documenting software that we don't provide, and have no control over.

The Fedora Project's mission is: The Fedora Project's mission is to
lead the advancement of free and open source software and content as a
collaborative community.
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Our_Mission)

I don't think we advance free software by providing assistance for,
and thus give our tacit approval for non-free software. It even
further is a bad idea when we've essentially said we won't provide
support for people using the binary blob driver to then lead them down
the path of using something we won't support. Add to that the fact
that kernel developers will not support any tained kernels, and that
they claim that it's both undesirable and harmful to the future of
Linux and free software:
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/publications/kernel-driver-statement

In light of all of that, I don't see how Fedora can ship documentation
that contains content on installing nvidia binary drivers. (Especially
when we are working so hard on the Nouveau front)

That said, please don't let this discourage you, we are excited for
you to jump in, but take this into consideration as you proceed.