Self-Introduction:

Joseph Allen bloggersciencewithjoe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 17:28:20 UTC 2009

Oh well yes, I meant the Nouveau driver. The non free one I hate badly due
to the fact that it broke my mom's computer when she did a kernel update
(although she could have done a hard reboot during a kernel update... She
doesn't seem to get that doing such things cause bad errors). She has to
boot into a older kernel version just to start X! But yes, I would not give
a guide to that wretched piece of software after what it did to her
computer. I just know that there has to be something to help people who have
Nvidia graphics cards. When I first installed Fedora 11 on my mom's computer
the goal was to improve Flash (which skipped and sometimes wouldn't play on
MS Vista). But after installation the refresh rate on screen was once every
second. So I was just pointing out that unless they fixed that in Fedora 12
there needs to be a guide to getting Nvidia to work. Otherwise some people
will just not use Fedora due to the fact that a low refresh rate and VGA
resolution won't make them very happy.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:05 AM, David Nalley <
david.nalley at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > I had to go through) to "guide" a user through common uses like compiling
> > kernel modules, maybe installing a Nvidia driver (or did they fix that it
> > Fedora 12? I haven't had a blank Cd-r to install it with), etc.
> >

> Just a comment - and perhaps it is a philosophical one. Personally I
> don't think documentation on installing Nvidia drivers is appropriate
> for Fedora. One of Fedora' core beliefs is Freedom, and the Nvidia
> binary blob kernel driver is certainly non-free. In addition, you'd be
> documenting software that we don't provide, and have no control over.
>
> The Fedora Project's mission is: The Fedora Project's mission is to
> lead the advancement of free and open source software and content as a
> collaborative community.
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Our_Mission)
>
> I don't think we advance free software by providing assistance for,
> and thus give our tacit approval for non-free software. It even
> further is a bad idea when we've essentially said we won't provide
> support for people using the binary blob driver to then lead them down
> the path of using something we won't support. Add to that the fact
> that kernel developers will not support any tained kernels, and that
> they claim that it's both undesirable and harmful to the future of
> Linux and free software:
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/publications/kernel-driver-statement
>
> In light of all of that, I don't see how Fedora can ship documentation
> that contains content on installing nvidia binary drivers. (Especially
> when we are working so hard on the Nouveau front)
>
> That said, please don't let this discourage you, we are excited for
> you to jump in, but take this into consideration as you proceed.
>
> --

JOSEPH ALLEN, C/A, CAP
G.V. 'Sonny' Montgomery Composite Squadron
SER-MS-102
Mississippi Wing Civil Air Patrol