Issues with Release Notes translations

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Wed Nov 18 14:12:40 UTC 2009

This is really to set up a discussion probably between me and rudi when the
sun comes up for him, but everyone should at least be aware of this problem.

This morning I noticed that zh-CN had reached 100%, but that translation has
been thick with errors for the past few weeks, so I decided to send a note
to trans-list identifying the types of errors.  I was later surprised to see
that rudi had pushed the zh-CN to docs.fp.o, surprising since the document
wouldn't build, at least, as of a job that started about an hour before rudi
pushed it!

Anyway, when I looked through the document, I noticed a number of entire
sections that were untranslated.  Odd, since Transifex shows it at 100%.
Now I have to admit, I've been happy to see translations complete, and
generally I take a quick peek to see that they look about right, but I
haven't been going through documents in languages I can't read in their
entirety.

I looked at a couple of other docs on docs.fp.o and some of the same
sections were untranslated.  I was about to blame Publican for producing an
incomplete pot (sure, blame it on Publican), but then I found some docs
where those same sections were translated.  That leads me to suspect that
something in the interaction between git and Transifex is causing the issue.

As you may or may not be aware, we have been branching liberally to try to
keep the translations straight.  I suspect what happened is that some of the
pos were checked out from transifex when we branched, and the old po
overwrote the new po.  Normally git would scream bloody murder (and make
your life miserable) if you tried to do this sort of thing, but depending on
how Transifex interacts with git, it might work around this problem.

I'm not sure the best way to correct this.  I suspect we need to identify
the problem pos and merge them with the current pot, but I don't know enough
about Transifex to know what this might break.

--McD