FDP Logo

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Apr 25 13:39:58 UTC 2005

OK, before anyone gets too excited, it's my unfortunate duty to step in at
this point with some bad news:

1. Branding is one of the areas where Red Hat is most likely to throw its
collective weight around.

2. It is the oft-expressed will of Red Hat that the Fedora never adopt an
actual *fedora* as a logo for the Fedora project, due to the potential of
confusion with the Shadowman logo, into which the company has poured
millions of dollars/man-hours.

In short: the lovely blue fedora is a non-starter.  Am I happy about this
state of affairs?  No, I'm not.  Not even a little bit.  But them's the
breaks.

So this leaves us with an interesting conundrum:

How do you represent an elephant without using an elephant?

Some ideas that have been passed around:
  * Using the logo type in a clever way.  (Which I hate.)
  * Making a souped-up "F".  (Which I hate only a little less.)
  * Coming up with a logo that somehow indicates community contribution
    and/or rapid progress, which yields lots of ideas, some of which are
    irreconcilably lame:
    + A piggy bank.  (With a big "F"!)
    + Some sort of hand-grasping United Way-ish logo.
    + Some abstract thing with arrows or tides or something.  Many small
      arrows becoming one.
    + Blah blah blah.

To recap: no fedora to represent Fedora.  *Any* other decent idea welcome.

:(

--g

                     ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan
      Red Hat Summit ] [
         New Orleans ] [ Learn. Network. Experience Open Source.
     June 1/2/3 2005 ] [ (And Make Your Boss Pay For It.)
                       [ http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/