Meeting IRC log 23 August 2005

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 22:15:59 UTC 2005

For those who missed it, here is a highlight of the state of the Fedora
Foundation that I discussed.  I have a follow-up that is inline below.

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 14:55 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> <quaid> I'm presuming you all read the updates that came out at
> LinuxWorld
> <quaid> we are still waiting for by-laws from outside counsel, and are
> recruiting for the board of directors.
> <quaid> so, the rest of this is my opinion on the state of things:
> <quaid> RH has done a good job of making a good foundation, and it had
> to be done internally because of the same stuff that always makes us do
> stuff behind doors, however ...
> <quaid> the community voices were strong from within by those of us
> representing the community, who are @redhat.com
> <quaid> for example, when you see Mark Webbink quoted that "the
> developers and documentation have helped to shape the foundation" or
> whatever he said like that, that was me speaking for all of us, and
> hopefully doing it well enough.
> <elliss> I noticed the reference to documenters :)
> <quaid> once the foundation is in the wild, it's up to the board to
> decide where to proceed, so we will continue to have a way to influence
> the direction, and more chance to, and all in the open.
> <quaid> I think the by-laws have done a good job of making foundation
> membership accessible and useful.
> <quaid> last point, the foundation builds on what the project has been
> doing, so for example, what we are doing in FDSCo is now simply codified
> and formalized, so work in the project is going to continue pretty much
> as before.
> <stickster> Is the foundation going to continue to allow fluidity in
> building process as we have been doing with FDSCo?

The proper answer is, yes.  The Board will appoint the Project
Management Committees (PCM == FDSCo), and have control over firing the
committee or members for whatever appropriate reason.  Otherwise, the
Board will stay out of the way and let the pros do what they do.  In
other words, once we are blessed, and we surely will be, we will
continue exactly as before, but this time with a stronger structure to
report into.

<fin_comments />