Docs Guide revisited?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 16:08:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 19:01 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I will be making some big changes to the example-tutorial so that it is
> more of a learning tool that we can reference in the DocGuide.  The
> changes to the DocGuide need not hinge on the example-tutorial work, but
> they will complement each other eventually as we bring them in sync,
> right?

This is a bit different from what Mark and I are working on, but perhaps
we can combined them.

Our scheme, and Mark may not agree with this :), is to make the example-
tutorial a self-referential DocBook tool, similar to Tim Waugh's
SelfDocBook.

What I want to do is make all of the example XML usage be modular
components that are pulled into the example-tutorial as entities.  These
same entities are also pulled into the Doc Guide, where context is
wrapped around them.

This way we have one single-source for XML mark-up usage, that is used
in two very meaningful ways.

This might take some bash or Perl trickery to get perfect.

Ideally, this can be done in steps.  That is, Mark and I can finish the
XML mark-up guidelines, and those can be used in either location.

Paul, do you think that the XML guidelines can be worked into your new
ideas for the example-tutorial?

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide