Docs Guide revisited?

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 20:30:36 UTC 2005

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 19:01 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
>>I will be making some big changes to the example-tutorial so that it is
>>more of a learning tool that we can reference in the DocGuide.  The
>>changes to the DocGuide need not hinge on the example-tutorial work, but
>>they will complement each other eventually as we bring them in sync,
>>right?
>

> This is a bit different from what Mark and I are working on, but perhaps
> we can combined them.
>
> Our scheme, and Mark may not agree with this :), is to make the example-
> tutorial a self-referential DocBook tool, similar to Tim Waugh's
> SelfDocBook.

I agree with the concept - I'm simply skeptical that we can have
meaningful, self-referential examples for all kinds of markup we might
want to mention in the policy. I'm officially all for it. Really.

Furthermore, are we going to do things like support (or *recommend*)
XIncludes for document construction, rather than using external
entities? Doing so allows _every_ file to contain a DOCTYPE statement,
ensuring that it can be validated?

Just thinking out loud...

Cheers,
Mark