[RFQ] Additional self-intro question

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Mon Mar 13 22:07:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 15:16 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Stuart Ellis <stuart at elsn.org>, spake thus:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 12:30 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> > > Or does that remove the personal touch?
> > Mmm...it does sound a bit "tick the box that applies to you" when done
> > that way.
> > Maybe we should go a bit further with the hand-holding, and offer a
> > meeting/tutorial on IRC to people who Self Intro. It seems like we get
> > Self Intros, suggest areas of work to them and have a pleasant e-mail
> > exchange, and then nothing further really happens.
>

> I think it's called "#fedora-docs" ;-)
>
> Maybe "#fedora-docs-what-have-you-done-for-me-lately"?

Yes, we have an IRC channel, for those we already know what IRC is and
how to use it. What I was proposing was explicitly inviting people to
turn up and spend twenty minutes working on the Wiki, or whatever, to
try to get them into the habit of contributing. Some might say yes and
then never be heard from again, and we lose nothing.

Maybe the only thing we can do is wait for self-motivated people to
trickle in, but that seems likely to be a painfully slow process. Months
ago, somebody mentioned the FreeBSD Handbook as an example of a success,
and I had to point out that FreeBSD has something like 16 contributors
for their documentation.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

Fedora Documentation Project: http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA