Fwd: Process of creating an education remix

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sat Sep 5 13:50:24 UTC 2009

Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> This got somehow caught by mailman - forwarding to the list!
>
> --Sebastian
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Auto-discard notification
> Datum: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 23:05:01 -0400
> Von: fedora-education-list-bounces at redhat.com
> An: fedora-education-list-owner at redhat.com

[...] snip!

> I was talking with Jeff Elkner (who teaches high school in Virginia, has
> been deeply involved with teaching open source for many years, and is
> the coauthor of
> http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkCSpy/html/, among a myriad
> of fantastic open source in education projects) tonight and he was
> wondering how to create a custom Linux image for a class he's teaching
> this fall.

Oh cool! :) Thanks Mel for posting this here; we should be able to help.

> It would be a normal desktop with office applications (openoffice, etc)
> and would be put on a USB stick since the students can't install things
> on their computers. The purpose would be to get students comfortable
> with using open source applications for their work, rather than a focus
> on training developers (though the students will be exposed to basic
> programming in python via https://launchpad.net/gasp).

I see python-gasp is in Fedora, but a bit outdated... if man-power is
needed, I could help co-maintaining it. Luke, what's its current state?

Oh, btw Mel: How do we proceed with the education-bookmarks, btw?

> Is this something that the Education SIG would be interested in doing?
> What would be needed and what would be involved? Nothing set in stone or
> anything like that yet -- just exploring possibilities.

Definitely! We could either help out with instructions how to build a
spin, directly incorporate changes in the upcoming F12 Education Spin or
even build a specific release (maybe using the POSSE Remix brand?).

Jeff, I'd be glad to help out here!

--Sebastian