[Fedora-electronic-lab-list] Re: Want FEL-11 livedvd ?

David John davidjohn.in at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 03:57:36 UTC 2009

Hi Chitlesh
    I have been active in VLSI education for about 4 years now.
Initially, I was installing tools (Alliance, Magic..) myself on Fedora
6, but maintaining the dependencies and versions became a big
difficulty, since I had no expertise in managing these. It took almost 2
months of on and off work to setup all the tools as per the
requirements. Soon came FEL8 and it was the perfect answer, I have been
following and using the FEL distro since. So, let me thank you for
bringing these tools under one controlled distro.

I am already part of the mailing list, but mostly restricted to only
browsing the topics every couple of days as my day job keeps me busy.
The amount of time & effort I can commit right now is very small.

I have a couple of friends who are also interested in improving the VLSI
education scenario in India. We get together once in 6 months and
conduct a 3-5 day VLSI workshop at any institute that invites us. The
last workshop was conducted at Model Engineering College, Cochin and
they have adopted FEL for running the curriculum lab courses. The next
one is planned for late March this year.

Please send me any presentation material that can be used as an official
introduction to FEL (I am using it only from a VLSI perspective). The
livedvd will be helpful, I can try it for the next workshop.

Regards
David