[Fedora-electronic-lab-list] [RFC] Introducing FEL to prospective students

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 4 21:42:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the opportunity to present FOSS electronic tools to few
> colleges in India, and I would like to use FEL as an example. I would
> like to hear from you all on which tools can be demoed. I can address
> the same in an hours' time frame.
>
> I shall pass on this mailing list info to the students, so that they
> can correspond for any help, support, or package development that
> requires contribution or that they might be interested in.
>
> Appreciate any inputs in this regard,
>
> Thanks!

Hello Shakthi,

This is great news :) May I know when will you conduct that presentation ?

As for which tool to demo? I would rather say all of them (thinking of
our upstream developers :) )

Maybe what you can do is, make up an imaginary project and talk about
the FOSS tools available for this particular project. Then you can go
deeper explaining each of the tools (maybe choose one of them for
demo) you mentioned and what type of engineers could use them. Then
you can make up another imaginary project to include tools that you've
missed in the previous example.

FYI: I'm writing a TechReport on how I'm using features of FEL11 and
geda/gaf to propose a possible EDA solution for post-tapeout of chips.
Up till now all we have been proposing is pre-tapeout solutions with
FEL. For the last 2 months, my colleagues are running F11(rawhide) in
our Testing&Validation unit and using the perl hardware modules of
F11, rawhide's gtkwave and geda/gaf to validate 65nm chips. I hope I
could finish the TechReport paper in time for you.

cheers,
Chitlesh