D1x license

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Apr 29 20:38:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 04:31:51PM -0400, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> While I totally agree with you that allowing non-commercial restrictions
> on packages in Extras adds complexity to the repackaging of Extras for
> commercial purposes. I don't think that the aversion to that complexity
> justifies the complete exclusion of those packages from Extras.

What are "commercial purposes"? Can the package be used as part of my job
that makes money? What if I work for a non-profit? What if I don't? What if
I do consulting using my Fedora Extras box, and a utility I use is linked
against library with this restriction? What if I'm working on some
grant-funded project that uses this software, and the results of that work
gets spun off into a startup company?

Both the GPL and the BSD licenses avoid all of this, for good reason.