Fedora account

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Fri Aug 12 00:57:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 15:47 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Fredrik Tolf wrote:
> >
> > As may be clear from the above, I'm not really particularly interested
> > in having CVS access or being a maintainer, but rather I'm really just
> > interested in developing and distributing icmpdn -- I've merely assumed
> > that it is my responsibility for being able to have a package in FE,
> > I'd. If that is not true, I'd appreciate a heads-up before I delve any
> > deeper into this. Don't get me wrong, though, I'll happily assume the
> > responsibility if indeed it is necessary.
> >
> > In contrast, in the Gentoo portage system, you just submit an ebuild to
> > their bugzilla, and they make sure to get it into portage if it is
> > approved. It's a lot less responsibility for the contributors, but I'm
> > sure it's a lot more work for the Gentoo maintainers as well, and thus I
> > more than well understand if this is not an option in FE. However, this
> > entire process, necessary or not, is quite a threshold for people like
> > me who just want to get a package into FE.
> >

> This is OK, in this case please find one of the Fedora Extras members to
> simply handle your Bugzilla requests to get changes into the repository
> on your behalf.  Perhaps Oliver Falk can do it?

Sure, I can more than well do that, but isn't that more work for all
parties involved? I don't know exactly what arrangement you had in mind,
so I may misunderstand, but wouldn't it be far easier to just let anyone
handle Bugzilla requests, rather than assigning it to a certain person?

Either way, is this truly OK with you? I would still feel rather bad if
I received special treatment. As I mentioned previously, I will be happy
to shoulder the responsibility of reading docs and having CVS access if
it really is the normal. My main point was that it seems to me like a
rather strange procedure to have *every* contributor sign agreements and
have CVS access, instead of letting a well-known, smaller group of devs
have CVS access. I'm getting the feeling that I'm missing something.

> We only ask that you (Fredrik) please have a Bugzilla account, so you
> can be auto-CC on bugs against this package.  Are you OK with this
> arrangement?

Naturally. It would be rather strange to have someone but the author(s)
handle bug requests on a program, wouldn't it? ;)

I already have a Bugzilla account since long ago
(<fredrik at dolda2000.com>). I believe Oliver Falk has already set up a
Bugzilla component for icmpdn with me an auto-CC.

Fredrik Tolf