wxGTK/wxPython

Michael Wiktowy mwiktowy at gmx.net
Mon Aug 29 06:45:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 23:00 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> Right now, wxGTK2 is orphaned, and its one major release out of date
> (2.4). Since there are still programs using 2.4, I'd like to propose
> that we move wxGTK2 2.4 to compat-wxGTK2 and let wxGTK2 go to 2.6.
> This will also require wxPython to make the same change.
>
> I've whipped up packages for all four, and I'd like some feedback before
> I put them up for review. (Panu Matilainen is listed as the owner for
> wxPython, but it doesn't look touched recently)
>
> Packages:
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/compat-wxGTK-2.4.2-14.src.rpm
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/compat-wxPythonGTK2-2.4.2.4-8.src.rpm
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/wxGTK-2.6.1-2.src.rpm
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/wxPythonGTK2-2.6.1.0-2.src.rpm
>
> Specs:
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/compat-wxGTK.spec
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/compat-wxPython.spec
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/wxGTK.spec
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/wxPython.spec
>
> These packages can coexist with each other, the only catch is that apps
> using the compat package need to use /usr/bin/wxgtk2-2.4-config instead
> of /usr/bin/wxgtk2-config (this is now the 2.6 config name).
>
> I've tested the 2.6 package aginst winpdb (which I have ready to go,
> just pending wxPythonGTK2 = 2.6), and it works for me, and my 2.4 app
> (comical) still works with the compat package.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ~spot

How do these packages relate to the one found at:
http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#sources

Is your wxPythonGTK2 a replacement for the wxPython2.6 package there?

I ask because I was trying to build that package on FC3 to try to get
iPodder working on Fedora and not having much luck. After that low
hanging fruit didn't pan out, I gave up. So it would be great if these
were the missing puzzle pieces.

/Mike