kdemultimedia-extras/kdemultimedia-nonfree

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Dec 19 22:08:38 UTC 2005

Now that kde-3.5.0 has been released for fc4, I'll resend

In the spirit of the current kdemultimedia-extras pkg available from
rpm.livna.org, I've made a similar beast for kde-3.5.0,
except this time we've got 2 subpkgs:

(1) free/distributable bits (to be available from Fedora Extras, using
dependancies already available in FE), including akode_arts_plugin
(akode), juk (libtunepimp), kfile-plugins: flac, mpc, mp3 (taglib),

(2) nonfree bits (ie, like the existing kdemultimedia-extras from
livna), including akode_arts_plugin extra bits (akode-extras), krec mp3
export (lame), mpeglib_artsplugin, xine_artsplugin (xine-lib)

The primary question on my mind right now is naming.  I'm leaning toward
naming (1) kdemultimedia-extras and (2) kdemultimedia-nonfree.  I know
this makes the proposed FE package overlap/obsolete the existing livna
pkg, but I think this is the safest road to follow.

Opinions?

I've got a rough(*) implentation of -extras and -nonfree pushed to
kde-redhat users since kde-3.5.0 has been released (and haven't heard
any outcries of brokeness):
http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/SPECS/kdemultimedia-3.5.0-1.7.spec

(*) rough because it's a single specfile that can be used to create one of:
core kdemultimedia rpms (kdemultimedia/kdemultimedia-devel),
kdemultimedia-extras or kdemultimedia-nonfree.  I can easily fix that,
if I get positive feedback to move forward.  Don't want to waste time on
it otherwise...

-- Rex