WINE

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 00:17:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 17:20 -0500, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> The included objects are entirely from-scratch implementations of
> Microsoft's DLLs, but just because they don't directly violate
> copyrights doesn't mean they're in the clear.  This is really something
> you should run past RH Legal.  Patents are likely to be the bigger
> issue.  I can't specifically name any conflicts raised so far, but then,
> Mono hasn't had any action taken against it either.  We already know
> Microsoft has a large number of patents covering their technologies, and
> purely-original code isn't safe from that threat.

After talking with several people, I think we're going to let wine live
in livna. The most pressing reason is that for good 3d support, wine
needs to be compiled against the NVIDIA GL bits, since they're the
fastest GL implementation for Linux. Until a fast open source GL
implementation for Linux is released, this will keep wine in livna.

If/when the GL issue is resolved, we'll then revisit wine for FE
inclusion.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!