Sponsorship Concerns Re: xfce 4.2.1 packages available

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Mar 20 09:51:04 UTC 2005

Everyone,
I have spent hours analyzing and fixing Kevin's packages, when the job
is already supposed to be nearly done at this point.  The changes that
he made were mostly superficial, and in cases where they were not (like
xfdesktop below), they were highly problematic or plain wrong.

It is quite clear to me that this guy is unqualified to be maintaining
these packages without supervision.  But it is not his fault.  *Maybe*
it would be acceptable if his membership sponsor were educating him
while watching his activities, but it it seems that spot has been busy
this week.

It is the responsibility of the sponsor to make sure members below them
are doing the right thing, and educating them when they are not.  I ask
that sponsors please be careful not to sponsor too many contributors if
you are too busy to foster their development and education.

We need to scale the number of contributors who know packaging extremely
well in order to handle auditing the ever growing quantity of changes
going into the repository.  Your attention and education of our newer
members is crucial in making this process scale.

Kevin,
In this case I will work with you to fix the XFCE packages.  I hope that
you can learn from the changes we make together in order to make cleaner
packages in the future.  We will start with xfdesktop for now (although
I suspect we will need to discuss more packages...)

The problems in xfdesktop are too significant for me to fix quickly
without testing like I had for other packages in CVS.
- Requires: gtk2 >= 2.2.0 is unnecessary, or in the rare case that it is
you should document it with a comment. [1]
- BuildRequires: gtk2 >= 2.2.0 is wrong, should be gtk2-devel
- removed the fedora splash
- rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_libdir}/xfce4/mcs-plugins/*.a
Usually we don't want to ship these, yet your package adds it again.
Was there any reason in particular?
- %files list uses explicit filenames rather than wildcards
This makes it more difficult to maintain in the future for little
benefit now.
- completely wiped out than's original changelog
- you removed a several artificial Requires that pulled in various
components of XFCE.  I am not sure about the original purpose of these
artificial deps, but I am guessing that they existed in order to install
xfdesktop and related pieces would be pulled in by deps to make a
complete environment.
In fixing this, should xfdesktop be the base package that pulls in the
rest? If so, what packages should it pull in?

I recommend starting again from the FC3 xfdesktop.spec and making
changes from there.  Don't need to be so verbose in your %changelog
section, just list the changes that make a functional difference.

Let me know when you have a new xfdesktop for review, and I'll review it
again.

Thanks,
Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com