major libgda and libgnomedb upgrade notice

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 28 10:08:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 09:38 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:

> >> IMO, you should provide a compat package for FC4.
> >
> > ++
> >

> Erm
>
> AFAIK only gnumeric depends on these libs and it will be updated
> simultaniously, thats why I'm asking for other packagers/packages who
> depend on it to report themselves.
You can't know what others do with libraries, and which other packages
other might be using or shipping. Therefore, you can't remove/replace
any shared library having ever been shipped.

I'd even go so far, to see FE's packaging rules to be tightened, and let
packagers would having to choose from
a) Refrain from updating to an incompatible package (i.e. leave the old
version in "stable" and upgrade "devel" only.
b) Provide a compat package.

>  When there turn out to be other
> packages depended upon these libs, then I'll start thinking about a
> compat package.
To me, this procedure is embarrassingly rude.  Seems like the directfb
upgrade-disaster didn't teach you much.

Ralf