major libgda and libgnomedb upgrade notice

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Nov 28 11:15:22 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>  When there turn out to be other
>> packages depended upon these libs, then I'll start thinking about a
>> compat package.
> To me, this procedure is embarrassingly rude.  Seems like the directfb
> upgrade-disaster didn't teach you much.

Erm,

Actually it did, I though that part of the concensus there was ask
before you upgrade and now I'm asking. I still however believe that
providing a compat package for the sake of providing a compat package is
a complete waste of effort.

Afaik libgda and libgnomedb are not widely used, I'm trying to find out
how widely used they are. I believe there is a way to query repodata
instead of the local rpm database, I'll learn to use that on see what
dependencies show up. I'll also take a look at abiword.

Also since we seem to be getting personal: I don't find your attitude
very helpfull or constructive. Remember we're all volunteers doing our best.

Take a look at mpeters at mac.com response for an example of a constructive
response. Also note that abiword might actually benefit from my
gnumeric-1.6.1 work, since they share much infrastructure, and I'm
currently doing lots of infrastructure work to get gnumeric-1.6 to work
(libgsf 1.13, goffice, newer libgda & libgnomedb)

Regards,

Hans